Our River Warden Project has been selected to go for public voting between July and August at Tesco stores across Market Harborough.
We have applied for £4,000 from the Tesco Bags of Help fund to create a River Warden volunteering network across the River Welland catchment, to protect the river for both people and wildlife.
The River Warden Scheme will give people who care about the River Welland and their local environment a chance to:
– Work with the Welland Rivers Trust to provide river monitoring
– Carry out river management
– Document and report pollution and other incidents
– Involve their local community and neighbourhood in river restoration and conservation projects
– Act as a point of liaison between the Welland Rivers Trust and their local community
At the Welland Rivers Trust, we want the river to be at the heart of local communities. We believe that community involvement is key for the conservation and restoration of the River Welland and its entire catchment area.
As a River Warden, volunteers will be the local champion for the River Welland, acting as our eyes and ears on the ground to protect the Welland and its tributaries. Initially, we want to pilot this scheme with 3 or 4 parishes, with a view to rolling out the initiative to other parishes, based on the lessons learnt.