Thursday, 03 June 2010 17:25
The Welland, including its tributaries and the land within its basin, exist as an integrated resource, providing sustainable goods and services from its water, soils and vegetation, to all its stakeholders. The WRT has been formed to facilitate the protection and development of the river through direct management of its own projects and by providing support and expertise to other existing volunteer groups.
The Trust will seek to:-
- Initiate projects that improve the state of the river and its tributaries, with appropriate partners.
- Facilitate linking between different interest groups in the basin.
- Advise, from a catchment-scale perspective, more local interest groups when asked.
- Help apply to appropriate sources for funding, to support projects that enhance the natural values of the river system.
- Build-up and maintain an archive of information about the basin, accessible to all interested parties.
- Educate citizens within the basin about its natural attributes, the positive and negative ways in which humans have altered them, including an understanding about the effects of global change upon the Welland and scenarios for adaptation to change within a sustainable future.
- Assist government agencies and organisations, as appropriate, in research and monitoring of the health of the river and its environment.
- Advocate, where necessary, to maintain or improve the Welland’s attributes and values.
- Provide an outlet for public opinions, aspirations and concerns about issues affecting the Welland and/or its services.
- Promote the Welland as a natural unit of the countryside, to encourage people and organisations to think in an integrated manner.
FIVE YEAR VISION
The Trust will work to:-
- Restore a series of sites, on the river and its tributaries from headwaters to lowland fen, and publicise them as a demonstration of how our vision can be achieved.
- Create a monitoring programme through its members, which indicates the health of the Welland ecosystem, supplementing and extending that of the regulatory authorities.
- Develop an interactive website, containing information about the above two aims, but also linking organisations and individuals concerned about the Welland basin and its future, proving them with a common forum and an educational resource.
- Build up formal partnerships with organisations who share our vision, so that commercial and government ones will provide funding to make the Trust self-sufficient, other voluntary organisations work with us towards agreed common goals.